Alameda Health Partners seeking fulltime Anesthesiologist in Norther CA
Alameda Health System
May 3, 2018
Full Time - Entry Level
Prior to administrating anesthetic agents explains to the Patient; as necessary the Patients family the risks and potential complications from the administration of anesthesia. Answers all questions and clearly documents the conversation on the anesthesia consent form and obtains the appropriate Patient or Family signatures.
Administer anesthetic or sedation during medical procedures, using local, intravenous, spinal or caudal methods:
1. Confer with other medical professionals to determine type and method of anesthetic or sedation to render patient insensible to pain.
2. Coordinate administration of anesthetics with surgeons during operation.
3. Decide when patients have recovered or stabilized enough to be sent to another room or ward or to be sent home following outpatient surgery.
4. Examine patient, obtain medical history and use diagnostic tests to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
5. Monitor patient before, during, and after anesthesia and counteract adverse reactions or complications.
6. Record type and amount of anesthesia and patient condition throughout procedure.
7. Conduct medical research to aid in controlling and curing disease, to investigate new medications, and to develop and test new medical techniques.
8. Coordinate and direct work of nurses, medical technicians and other health care providers.
10. Diagnose illnesses, using examinations, tests and reports.
11. Inform students and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and emergency methods to counteract reactions.
12. Manage anesthesia services, coordinating with other medical activities and formulating plans and procedures.
13. Order laboratory tests, x-rays and other diagnostic procedures.
14. Position patient on operating table to maximize patient comfort and surgical accessibility.
15. Provide and maintain life support and airway management, and help prepare patients for emergency surgery.
16. Provide medical care and consultation in many settings, prescribing medication and treatment and referring patients for surgery.
17. Instruct individuals and groups on ways to preserve health and prevent disease.
18. Schedule and maintain use of surgical suite, including operating, wash-up, waiting rooms and anesthetic and sterilizing equipment.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Systematically assesses patients' health status, arrives at appropriate diagnosis(es), and implements care plan for effective clinical outcomes
• Considers thorough range of treatment/preventive options and arrives at a recommended course of action that is age appropriate, culturally appropriate, realistic, and attainable
• Appropriately manages patient care and health status following initiation of treatment/preventive plan, and monitors and adjusts as warranted
• Communicates effectively with patients and family so that they understand their diagnosis, treatment plans, and need for follow-up care
• Educates and encourages patients to become active participants in their own healthcare-related behavior and provides patient education materials for use in encouraging wellness
• Seeks consultation and advises by providing adequate information to consulting physicians. Communicates requests effectively, or responds to such requests from the referral source in a courteous, professional, and timely manner
• Documents according to established guidelines to facilitate ongoing quality of care in a timely manner
• Performs the appropriate medical procedures within the scope of the Practice as defined by the Practice's credentialing and privileging processes
• Delegates direct and indirect patient care activities to appropriate personnel
• Responds appropriately to emergent situations
• Maintains and improves skill level through participation in continuing medical education
• Actively participates in clinical quality improvement initiatives
• Reviews and follows up on complaints and concerns about medical care
• Takes actions to ensure continuity of care for patients
2. Contributes to effective and efficient practice management policies and practices that support patient access to medical care
• Participates in access planning for the Practice site, ensuring appropriate amount of same-day patient access
• Meets number of Practice patient contact hours as outlined in the contract agreement
• Collaborates in establishing personal numbers of relative value units to be budgeted and achieves targeted goal
• Fulfills commitments for call assignments with clear communication and follows through on work initiated
• Supports appropriate billing for professional services through timely documentation and maintaining adequate knowledge of the Practice's billing policies and procedures
• Adheres to all relevant policies, procedures, and practice guidelines
• Assists with the preparation for regulatory surveys
• Responds to telephone calls in a timely fashion
3. Manages patient care through appropriate use of available resources
• Appropriately prescribes and orders ancillary services
• Utilizes Practice referral network appropriately
• Promotes the appropriate length of stay for patients
• Manages chronic health/disease conditions
4. Provides leadership for Practice and community relations
• Serves as a resource to colleagues and support staff, enhancing quality of care
• Participates in the training, orientation, and evaluation of Practice support staff
• Regularly attends and actively participates in Practice staff meetings or physician/staff meetings
• Participates in short- and long-term planning for the site or care system, providing input to the annual operational and capital budget
• Participates in appropriate committee structure
• Participates in community education and other professional activities to promote Practice services and the site
*Demonstrates commitment to customers
• Is aware of different customer needs/desires
• Takes action to meet customer needs/desires with respect to customer diversity
• Helps improve processes to meet customer needs
• Suggests and acts on ideas to improve overall customer service
• Respects confidentiality and shares information with only those who need to know
*Demonstrates commitment to fellow employees
• Seeks to understand and value differences between employees
• Treats other employees with dignity and respect
• Demonstrates open, honest communication and behavior
• Resolves conflict in a positive manner
• Contributes to the productivity of the work group
*Demonstrates commitment to the Practice
• Lives the values of dignity, integrity, service, and compassion
• Supports the Practice's mission/vision
• Speaks positively about the Practice
• Chooses to make the Practice a better place
Minimum Qualifications: Education: Completion of an approved residency in Anesthesiology. Required Licenses/Certifications: Current status as board-eligible or board certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Board certification required if the applicant completed residency more than 5 years ago. Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of California, current California fluoroscopy operator's license
Internal Number: AHP2018
About Alameda Health System
Alameda Health Partners is seeking a fulltime Anesthesiologist, at Highland Hospital. With 169 inpatient beds, Highland Hospital is the largest campus of Alameda Health System ("AHS"). Highland houses a regional trauma center, conducts medical and clinical teaching, and delivers primary, specialty, and multi-specialty care. In April of 2016, Highland opened a new 9-story, state-of-the-art Acute Care Tower. Since its founding, AHS has been a vital community asset, which embodies a core mission of "Caring, Healing, Teaching, Serving All." The heart of its mission is to promote wellness, eliminate disparities, and improve and maintain the health of residents of the diverse communities of Alameda County.